The number one worry I hear from people about virtual private networks, or VPNs, is that these products will slow down their computers. Experience has taught me, however, that the impact of VPN usage is almost unnoticeable in most situations.
Still, for many people, just the idea of browsing or streaming at less than top speed may cause them to hesitate before using a VPN. For them, PureVPN is one good VPN available. It offers numerous features, a robust backbone of diversely located VPN servers, and the average scores in my speed tests for the second year running. For all that, PureVPN is one VPN to check out for.
PureVPN is a multiplatform Virtual Private Network (VPN) solution for those concerned about security online, those that want to circumvent geo-restrictions, or those that simply want a private network for transferring data.
PureVPN is particularly suitable for anyone concerned about security when connecting to public WiFi hotspots on laptops or mobile devices, and those that want to watch sites such as Netflix and Hulu which are blocked in their region.
The PureVPN application for Windows allows you to choose which programs you want to go through the VPN like uTorrent. This guide will show you how to install the PureVPN application.
Installation of PureVPN Software
The PureVPN installation process is quite straightforward and once installed, the connection dialog is very clearly laid out. PureVPN is very easy to use once installed and you can use one account with up to five devices in both the free and paid versions but the free version is limited to 3 days use. To get started with your PureVPN usage on your Windows, just follow the following easy steps:
- To open your account, go to PureVPN’s website: https://www.purevpn.com/order and click on get PureVPN. This will take you to the plans page where you’ll get to choose between three identical plans, for changing periods of time. For best savings, choose the two years subscription, which entitles you to a 70% discount.
After signing up is complete, you’ll receive a confirmation email from PureVPN. Click the activation link, and you’re good to go.
3. Once the download is complete, open the exe file and follow the installation process. Note that in order to complete the process, you will need to close all your other application.
4. Hover “Run as administrator” from its download directory to initiate the installation of PureVPN’s software.
5. The UAC or User Account Control of Windows will pop up to ask for administrator password. Input the correct password and click “Yes” to proceed.
6. When you reach the final stage, the software will launch, showing a tutorial on all their tools and features. Taking the time to watch the videos and instructions are recommended; as it will help you make the best out of the application. After going through all the tutorials, you should find the dashboard fairly easy to use. For your convenience, here’s what that email looks like:
7. For the initial connection, enter the username and password which have been sent to your email upon subscription.
If you’re struggling with a particular platform, there are some useful tutorials for each one plus 24-hour online support if you get stuck. Setup is straightforward though, and PureVPN will automatically select the fastest server for your location, usually the nearest one to you. You can manually select a server and even the city you want to connect the proxy from in the dropdown list.
- Once you are logged in, you will see different modes. Select your desired mode and click “Next”. Note: You can change “Mode” anytime.
Right from the start, PureVPN feels different from other VPN apps. A screen prompts you to select one of five options: Stream, Internet Freedom, Security/Privacy, File Sharing, and Remote/Dedi IP (short for Dedicated IP address). Depending on what you select, PureVPN delivers a customized experience. This is a smart organization, but I wonder how helpful it will be for someone who just wants to get online.
Most of the settings in the PureVPN app are very to the point. Internet Freedom, for example, lets you select that you want to watch Netflix, or that you are in China as an option. Privacy, it turns out, is what I would consider being the default experience for a VPN client, letting you search the available servers and select one for connection.
2. From the dashboard, select your desired purpose.
3. It will then prompts “Connecting”.
4. Congratulations! You have successfully connected into PureVPN! Surf the web with confidence and security.
Main Usage of PureVPN
- Enhanced security. When you connect to the network through PureVPN, the data is kept secured and encrypted. In this way, the information is away from hackers’ eyes.
- Remote control. In case of a company, the great advantage of having PureVPN is that the information can be accessed remotely even from home or from any other place. That’s why PureVPN can increase productivity within a company.
- Share files. PureVPN service can be used if you have a group that needs to share files for a long period of time.